Oct 30, 2014

One Room Challenge: Week Five

Welcome One Room Challenge participants and followers! If you are just joining me, I am working to transform our former guest room turned home office into our son's nursery. All while 27 weeks pregnant! Catch up on Week One, Week Two, Week Three, and Week Four

Hard to believe we are already five weeks in to this challenge! Next week is the reveal! Yikes!

The name of the game this week was PROGRESS! I feel like I'm in such a better place than I was this time last week. What a relief!

First up I made the crib skirt. All by myself.



I used the duct tape method. Ha.



I literally spent hours thinking and researching making crib skirts. Many suggested using ties to make them adjustable by tying to the mattress springs. This is all well and good, but my crib does not have springs. It's a flat board. To make it fully adjustable, I used duct tape to the board. The sides and hem are edged with bonding tape.

With the rush of completing this project and my issues with seeing the big picture last week I pushed the furniture around (thank goodness for old wood floors!) to where I thought the final resting place might be.



Why didn't I do this earlier?! I immediately felt a rush of confidence knowing where I was headed and where things fit in.

My sweet mother came over two days to help me prime and paint.



We used a grey tinted primer and one really thick coat of paint. I had some touch ups to do Tuesday morning and it's definitely not perfect, but hallelujah, we have painted walls!

On Saturday we went down to the River Arts Festival, my favorite local art festival in Memphis, and we purchased two pieces for the nursery. Originally I was not planning on purchasing any additional pieces for this room, but when you see something you love, you just gotta pounce. New art for Charlie!

Towards the end of last week I got a call that the carpet was ready. I told them great, but I would come get it when I was finished painting. Tuesday morning we were out in the burbs and picked up the carpet.

Here's just a peek at the room. I don't want to give too much away.





Please note: I did not take the rug into account when I positioned the skirt. Thank goodness for adjustable!

The room is really coming together now! On Friday the curtains will be installed and then I'll start hanging art. We still need to get the bookcase from my mom's house. The glider cushions are still in the works and I'm praying that she will be able to finish them early next week, although I doubt it.

One task still to accomplish is the mirror. I need to spray paint it to go with the room. I'm thinking gold. Any other ideas?

To Do: 
- Prime and paint walls
- Select rug
- Make a decision on window treatment and order

- Get potential chair, ottoman, and bookcase from my mom's house and storage unit
Set up crib and changing table
- Choose, purchase, make crib bedding
- Spray paint mirror I already have
- Hang/Make Art
- Add baby stuff

2 comments:

The Pink Pagoda said...

That crib skirt is wonderful! Look's like it's all coming together great! Can't wait to see it all together next week :)

Unknown said...

I love love the wall colour and now you've layered in pattern with the crib skirt and rug. Excited to see your reveal next week!