Oct 15, 2014

One Year Later

In early October of last year I was fired. Fired from a job I hated.  At the time I was part humiliated and part relieved. It ended a two year streak of being unhappy in a string of ill-fitting jobs. I was lost professionally and I had no idea what to do. So I didn't do anything.

Let me back up.  In case you didn't know, Bryan, my husband, is an independent sales representative for several running specialty brands. He has been doing this for about three years now. When he originally took the job we started dreaming of one day my being able to travel with him and be his secretary.

The day I was fired I knew I needed a break. A break from looking for jobs. I had spent about two years non-stop looking while I had three different jobs in three different fields during that time.  Bryan was gracious enough to let me try being his full-time secretary/assistant.  Amazingly we have been able to swing it financially and maritally.

When we first made the switch it was so funny to hear people's reactions to us working together. The vast majority of married couples say they can not work together. Bryan and I met working retail together and it has always been a natural fit for us. Granted, we have our moments, but for the most part no business fights over the last year.

Every day is different. Sometimes I feel super busy as his assistant and sometimes I have little to do.  It took some time to get used to this flux, but now I love it. When we work 10 days in a row, it's nice to know that in a few weeks we can take a few days off to recover without having to run it by anyone.

A little less than six months ago I became pregnant and we are figuring out the next chapter of our professional and personal lives. I am so thankful for this time to work with Bryan and build his business together.

I'm not sure what the future holds for me professionally. One day I may end up back in the traditional working world. Or I may not.  I do know that God works for the good of those who love them, and I needed to be fired. I needed to be forced into a new role. One year ago I would have never ever guessed that I would be pregnant, but here we are. About to embark on our next great adventure into the unknown.

No comments: